Buckham Fair began in 2008. After moving to our farm in 2007 we bought a new plot of land, one of the few pieces of flat land in Beaminster. We realised that the land would be perfect to hold an old-fashioned type Fair, perfect for all the community to have fun and also raise money for local charities. In fact we have since found out that there is an Ancient Charter that allows the holder of the land to hold a Fair each year – even more perfect!
Keen horse, pony and dog lovers we also wanted to include a small pony and dog show. The classes in both have grown year on year and now the schedule is packed full with many and varied events including Police Dog Displays, Heavy Horse Displays, Vintage Cars and Scooters.
Over the years the Fair has grown bigger and better – this year amongst other rides we will have a Big Wheel, Dodgems, a Carousel and a Helter Skelter.
The Trade Stands have also become a large part of the attractions selling mainly local products and the Food Court has grown to include an Inside tented ‘Deli’ area.
We do feel very lucky to live in such an unspoilt and beautiful area and it is fantastic to be able to share it with the community once a year.
- To keep the event local and community based
- To oversee every application for Trade Space and make sure it is high quality and varied
- To keep the Fair the old-fashioned atmosphere that people enjoy so much
- To build on our success each year without losing sight of why we started the Fair
- To keep entrance fees and fair ride prices affordable – we constantly monitor this to ensure the public get value for money
- To personally touch base with all our sponsors, judges, volunteers and helpers as we are not a ‘faceless’ committee with a backroom support network. We conduct all emails, letters and phone calls ourselves.
Since inception we have raised the following amounts of money for local charity:
- 2009 £14,500 for Julia’s House Children’s Hospice
- 2010 £22,500 for Weldmar Hospicecare Trust
- 2011 £35,000 for Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance
- 2012 £42,500 for Julia’s House Children’s Hospice
- 2013 £66,000 for Weldmar Hospicecare Trust
- 2014 £76,000 for Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance
- 2015 £67,000 for Julia’s House Children’s Hospice
- 2016 £90,000 for Weldmar Hospicecare Trust
This total amount of £413,500 has made a real difference to these charities.
However we couldn’t put on such a great event without the help of our amazing committee. The members are:
- Caroline Godwin
- Bhavani Hogarty
- Vanessa Voegele-Downing
- Rosemary Young
- Caroline Nickinson
- Katy Roberts
Please do come along to our next event and support us!